Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Age and Conviction

The older we get the more often we find ourselves looking at those that are younger than ourselves and wonder, "Do they really understand what it means to be a Christian? Do they know what all this entails?" We wonder if they really 'get it' or if they are just following along with the crowd.

Is this fair? I don't know anyone else's heart, nor am I really supposed to. But I can look back on my own life and experiences. When I was a child, I did what many children do and 'asked Jesus into my heart.' Now, I know there is a lot of backlash against that phrase, but as a child, I took this seriously. It was perhaps a more simple experience, and I was far more ignorant of Theology and God than I am know, but it was just as much a true spiritual experience before Him. As I continued to grow older, I had more experiences of this nature. I would grow in understanding and maturity and have a deeper understanding of what Christianity and God entail.

This progression continues to this day. I grow and understand more. But the experience with God that I had as a child was no less real, important, or valid because of my lack of understanding then. In fact, I believe that the inverse is more likely true. As a child, I flung myself completely upon God without a doubt of philosophy, theology, or rhetoric. Although I strive in understanding God and being a better Christian, and I find these things very important; the lack of them as a child did not make for a fake Christianity. Indeed, we find that Jesus told us something of this in Scripture. To whom more is given, more is required. We find that this is still true of us. As children, we are given little complex understanding, therefore little is required of us. The inverse is true in adulthood and as we grow in Christ.

So am I saying we need to stay spiritual infants and never have to worry about our faith being a fraud? Not at all, we are to be obedient servants and stewards, and that requires growing up in Christ.

In the end, what I am saying is that children and new converts may not have much understanding or revelation as a mature Christian. This does not make their Christian faith or walk less valid, nor does it discount them as followers. However, it does discount them as leaders of the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment