Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Round Table Pt. 4 of 4


CHAPTER IV
THE REAL QUESTION
“I do not view it as
killing,” replied John, his face bearing a look of surprise. “It was necessary.”
“I do view it as killing. I would have let the man live, no matter his beliefs,” Simon stated firmly. “We cannot fall to such levels. We should not even defend ourselves from such things. They are to be expected.”
“Wait just a second.” Martin looked at Simon thoughtfully. “Did you not say earlier that you had done almost anything to escape martyrdom? What of this statement? Are the two not inconsistent? You condemn us for our beliefs, but at least we do not tread the path on both sides of the matter. You cannot have something both ways. It is one or the other. Either you expect and accept such things or, to borrow your words, use almost any means necessary to escape. It is a serious matter to be double minded on an issue.”
“Brothers,” Jack stepped in. “I think you may all be in error somewhat. But I think that you may also all be in the right on certain aspects as well.”
“Now that makes no sense whatsoever,” Charles said, shaking his head. The others around the table seemed also to doubt Jack’s words. “I cannot agree with Martin or John in the killing of nonbelievers. But I also cannot understand Simon’s double view on hiding from persecution at all costs and embracing it head on. But you Jack, I doubt most of all. How can we be both right and wrong? This is more than embracing two sides of an issue. You seem to claim they are both right. For that matter why should we take the view of a drunkard in serious consideration anyways? The rest here seem to be clergy, men of dangerous views, but leaders. What qualifies you?” Jack shook his head in disgust and pulled his hat over his eyes as he tipped his chair back once again.
“If I could remove myself from your presence I would. All of you,” Simon said. “This is the most inconsistent group of leaders I have yet to meet. It seems only the local drunk has a view even close to correct, and even then I cannot agree with him. It is a sad day indeed when clergy look to the drunkards for assistance and not the other way around.”
“I agree,” Charles said.
“I can’t believe we all can agree on so many parts of Faith and fail so quickly,” John said. “Or is this not all true faith?”
“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I agree with John. I don’t know which of you has true faith,” Charles replied. “Honestly, I doubt you as much as the rest, John. I just wish I could remember what the word was for our movement that started years ago. That might be able to convince you.”
“I doubt it,” John replied. “It seems to me you are far too liberal with your beliefs for us to ever truly agree, Charles. In fact, I wonder if that was the point, if someone wanted me to see all these views to make those I have seen before seem sane.”
And so the debate continued. All five men took turns agreeing and disagreeing with those around them. All claimed hold to the same basic doctrines, but it seemed that none could agree on the finer details thereof. They debated and debated; without realizing the flow of time. For in that room there was no need for food or drink, nor did they grow tired, and there was no end to one day or beginning of a new one. Year after year they continued talking in circles, never quite convincing each other of their opinions, and never truly listening to the reason of the others.
But yet they still existed in the world outside of the small room. Indeed, they all gained quite a following of loyal believers through the years. There were the followers of Simon, who were known by his other name, Menno. They continued his double standard of expecting persecution and doing almost anything possible to avoid it. Martin’s followers did not take his name, but followers of Luthor can be found all over who deny or ignore his anti-Semitism and vulgar speech.
Ironically, Charles’ followers tend to agree with the followers of John, and here even Charles himself followed a modified version of John’s beliefs. Spurgeon had great fame for his teaching, and followed Calvin in many ways; martyring of people like Servantus not withstanding.
The drinking, shabbily dressed Jack Lewis, or Clive Staples, believed that most of those others were partly right, and few, maybe none, were completely wrong. He held the kindest view towards those of the Catholic Church, and towards those who disagreed with him. For this he is often disregarded and even condemned by parties on all sides of Christianity.
My question to you, dear reader, is simply this: Do you think that following any of
these flawed men will get you into heaven? If so, I have some sad news for you.
I Corinthians 3:5  What, after all, is Apollos? (or Calvin,  Luthor, Simons, Spurgeon, or Lewis) And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task.      Words in parenthesis added.
I Corinthians 13:2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. -I Corinthians 3:11
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. -Romans 2:1
I do not wish to demonize any of the leaders in this fable. I only wish to show the reader that only Christ deserves our loyalty. Let us learn from these men, both their wisdom and their folly. Let us use their examples to grow like Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment