Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Round Table Pt. 3 of 4


Chapter 3

What Happened to Sir Vetus

"You Wold Martyr,
those who disagree with you?” Charles asked both John and Martin.
“I believe there are some rare occasions where it is condonable,” Martin answered.
“In answer let me say” John replied. “That Sir Ventus was killed for his heresy, just not by the sword. But let me point out that I do not count him a true martyr for he died in while in unrepentant error. This is not martyrdom. The death of a heretic is to be expected in proper Church discipline.”
“I can not stand for this,” Jack said. “I thought the time of martyring people for their beliefs ended long ago. Where, pray tell me, do you find a backing for this idea of ‘discipline’ as you call it. I can’t believe what I am hearing. Now I really could use a drink.” Jack tipped his chair back against the wall and shook his head in disbelief.
Simon opened his eyes. “I know friends who were martyred, but I can not believe that anyone here or anywhere would condone these things. What can be gained by brothers killing brothers in the name of seeking truth?” Simon’s pale face and quivering lips showed his deep emotion, “I have evaded those who would kill me for my beliefs by almost any means necessary. I have suffered through many trials and have endured. Yet now I stand before those who would end my life for my convictions on the holy matter of baptism.”
The room fell into silence again. The bond between John and Simon was now quite torn. Martin also felt that Simon held him in equal disregard and disbelief. Charles puffed slowly while standing in the corner. Simon stood up quietly and went to the far corner of the small room. John and Martin both looked quizzically at the four walls which had no windows or doors. 
“How did we all come to be here if we cannot find any doors or windows?” asked Martin, trying to change the subject. He was starting to wonder if they were all going to be trapped in this small room for a length of time. Considering the current state of cold relations between many in the room he hoped not.
“I don’t see how that matters anymore knowing you’ll kill those who disagree with you,” Simon said from the corner. “If we submit a theory you do not like, who knows what you and John might do.”
“Were you not speaking of Christian charity earlier?” Martin asked. “I do not believe we should kill all who oppose us. In fact, I believe we should give them ample time to repent. But there are a few exceptions. The Jews for one.”
“Enough with the Jews! Why do you hate them so? Don’t we have enough other problems in the Church?” Charles continued, “I don’t believe it is acceptable to kill the Jews for that or any reason. I’m appalled that in your circles, wherever that may be, this is even considered a valid discussion.”
“I concur,” John answered.
“What?” Charles interrupted. “Did you not say you had a hand in the death of Sir Vantus? How can you defend both sides?”
“I concur,” John continued slowly, “with the fact that we cannot kill the Jews for random reasons. I believe only true heretics deserve to die, after being given a chance to repent and turn away from their heresy. We cannot kill those who do not know better. To do so would be very morally wrong.”
“I don’t believe this,” Jack was shaking his head. “First one side of a line than another. I think we need to back up here and see what everyone’s basic beliefs are before we continue any farther.”
“Seems wise,”  John said. Simon turned back towards the group and spoke so all could hear him.
“I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God and was sent to pay for our sins.” He stated simply.
“Yes, I also believe that Faith alone can save the soul of Man,” added Martin.
“But such a Faith must show itself in a man’s life. If it does not then it can not properly be called faith.” This comment came from John.
“Indeed, moreover it is only those whom God calls who can come in true repentance,” Charles added.
“Ah, but wait. Some believe that God calls all but some of them resist. While others believe God calls only a few who cannot resist,” Jack asserted.
“That is outrageous,” Simon interjected. “To limit the Love of God to only a few. What of God’s Holiness then? Would you be so bold as to say that God can create souls with the purpose of damning them? This is self-righteous bigotry.”
“I urge caution,” Charles answers gravely. “I would tread lightly before I would imply such a limit to God’s Sovereignty. These are serious and somber topics to discuss in company that seems so divided already.”
“So we have come to the old question again,” Jack sighs. “This debate has been ongoing for a long time I feel. I do not think we will come to the end of it tonight. But at least we know a bit more about where we all stand.”
“Wait just a minute,” Simon replies. “I do not think such a grave matter can be left so quickly. I tremble to see men who would kill those who disagree with them holding such a doctrine....”

No comments:

Post a Comment