Friday, May 10, 2013

Proper Preaching?

In my last post I talked about the fact that none of us can possibly be absolutely correct in our Theology. We all have our flaws and limitations, sometimes we don't even see them in ourselves. But we also need to realize that ministers and wonderful Theologians that we admire in history were also flawed. We need to remember that even though they were men of God, they were also part of the fallen race of Adam.

The reason I bring this up is that I have seen a major resurgence of Johnathan Edwards works in recent history. His most famous sermon was titled "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." He preached  fire and brimstone for the unrepentant. Makes sense right? That is true, and any Christian who doesn't believe in Hell has no reason to call himself a Christian.

However, we need to be more precise than that. We need to look at context. Edwards told the people of his church that they could not possibly know if they were part of the Elect. He also had been telling them that if they were not Elect they could not be saved, nor would they ever be. After years of this teaching, he preached this sermon of damnation without offering any hope to the people who asked him. His exact quote for people asking about salvation was this.   Just pray about it. If God is going to save you He will save you and if not there is nothing you or I can do about it.  Is this Biblical?

What resulted from this preaching? Revival? Not as I would understand it. His congregation was filled with people who feared God's wrath and had no way of understanding salvation. So they committed suicide. Even his own uncle, Joseph Hawley II, did so. Now I ask you, should Godly preaching cause mass suicide? Is damning people without giving them God's grace Biblical? Should we follow this man? What did Jesus say about being Elect?

Come unto me ALL of you that labor and are heavy laden and I WILL give you rest! (Matt. 11:28)

So am I damning Edwards? No, but I am saying that we should not look up to him as a leader who did no wrong. No man is perfect, but I would be cautious to follow a man whose preaching lead his uncle to slit his throat.

In the end, we are to do as Paul reminded the church in Corinth. Follow Christ, not Paul, Apollos, Peter, Edwards, Calvin, Luther, Simons, or Wesley.

No comments:

Post a Comment