Sunday, December 23, 2012

Googling Godliness

Technology is a wonderful tool. We use it all around us every day. I greatly enjoy using all sorts of things that run on electricity in my day to day activities. But sometimes I do believe that we have made our tech toys a little too close to our hearts.

I was preparing for a lesson the other day and needed to find a verse to support my thesis. I was not near a computer and still have a cell phone that cannot actually surf the web. I was stuck. So I did what I used to do when I needed a verse. I read my Bible. I skimmed the Book of Matthew from the middle to the end with no success. Then I started at the beginning of the book. Still couldn't find that verse. But I did find much other wisdom that I had not thought of while preparing that made me rethink my lesson for that day. In fact, in reading some other verses that I was going through brought light to the subject I hadn't even realized that I needed and was lacking.

I think this is a problem in our modern Theology. Probably not the biggest one, but an issue we do need to address. We have such easy access to the Internet we no longer remember things on our own. We just google it. In a great many things this is totally fine, but with our Theology we need to be extra careful how we use technology.

Am I saying that I am going Amish? Well, the fact that I'm typing this is proof that I am not. The technology is not evil. Using it is not wrong either. Depending on it for our Theological basis, however is quite wrong. We need to be able to study the Scriptures without the aid of the internet and grow in God without having to google what our favorite Theologian or Preacher thinks on the matter.

What am I saying then? Well, its fairly simple. We have reached an age where we don't think about the answers to questions anymore. We just google them. Lets not do that with our spiritual lives. Let us instead close our laptops and open our Bibles. After we have studied, then we can see what others also believe.

Conclusion


Let us be like the Bereans. We are told that they went to the Scriptures themselves to see if these things that they heard were true. They didn't just see what the 'in' preacher of their times thought, they checked to make sure that the things they learned were in line with the Bible. If we check the exact verse we find yet another important detail on the Bereans. They checked the Scriptures daily. This is one of the things we lack in modern America. We do not check the Scriptures daily. In fact, we hardly have time to squeeze in both Sunday's service and Bible Study in the same week. Let us fix that in our lives and truly study the Scriptures daily to see if these things are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment